Thursday, January 10, 2013

on gifts

this was supposed to have been posted last december.  one of my early attempts at writing on a journal.  it is funny, now that i am thinking about this keeping a journal thing.  way back then, before computers became  a necessary household appliance, like a tv or fridge, i had these thick notebooks where i write in my mind's meanderings.  now seeing them again,  these old notebooks, they've browned in time, most pages had become crisp and brittle, in some pages where i used a fountain pen to write, many of the words were smudged and were unreadable.  probably a cockroach, or a rat, or some little pest, must have found a way to these my hidden treasures and peed on them.  or, some liquid substance must have seeped thru them and thus erased the words.  those that i've written with a ballpoint pen or a pencil were intact though.  i reread those old thoughts of mine and i am amused by most.  i had a ball trying to recall what prompts i had during those times to have decided to write down those impressions.  i'll burn most of these notebooks now though.  i am keeping a high tech journal now.  oh how times have changed ...  here's this old post ..

on gifts

yesterday, i wanted so much to give someone i love a little gift.  however, that friend declined to receive it saying that it feels odd to always be in the receiving end.  i tried hard to reason, saying that at that moment i could afford to give and that it will not cause me any inconvenience whatsoever. also, my friend is not always on the receiving end, my friend has also been very giving, though at times perhaps, my friend does not even realize a gift is being given .

a sweet smile, a warm caress, a comforting word, a wink, a telephone call, a cool glass of water, a steaming cup of coffee -- these are gifts too, and how regularly they are being given!

beloved friend, the mere act of receiving with honest gratitude and with sincere thankfulness another's gift is a gift in itself.  what is most important is that the Heart is gladdened.  whatsoever brings gladness to a Heart is a gift.

so, if this little note makes your Heart joyful, then it is my gift to you.  

your reading it is your own gift to me.

2 comments:

Bani said...

another one of my favourite! this is a beautiful post! really... can't tell you how much i can relate to it! i've learnt my lessons in give and take. i have understood the supreme gift of gratitude! thanks a lot my friend... =)

sito saguid said...

I'm glad you liked it, bani. thanks for the visit.